For the uninitiated, Kickstarter is a crowdfunding site where the public can donate to cultural projects and businesses. A monetary goal is set for a project, but it won't be funded unless at least that amount is raised in a set time period (typically 30 days).
Take a look at some current Kickstarter initiatives involving Bay Area artists and support local music:
• Derek Rolando & Desert Chant hopes to raise $6,000 to record an album with members of Santana.
• Robert Strom has already surpassed his goal of $10,000 five times over to assist in creating a musical evening dedicated to cabaret legend Mabel Mercer.
• Front Country is looking for help to record a debut album of progressive bluegrass.
• Mark Nelsen seeks the means to create a proper video to his self-described "neuro psych pop" single.
• Jane Kim is recording a debut EP of soul songs that she says are reminiscent of Adele, Sara Bareilles, and Norah Jones.