In a stunning turn of events, Melky Cabrera requested that he be removed from the batting-title race and Major League Baseball and the union agreed to allow a one-time exemption on the race rules, CSNBayArea.com's Andrew Baggarly reports.
Cabrera, who received a 50-game suspension from MLB after a positive performance-enhancing substance test, was one at-bat shy of qualifying for the batting title but under rule 10.22(a)
Bud Selig said earlier this week that he was unlikely to mess with Cabrera's .346 average and disqualify him for the title.
Instead, Cabrera requested to disqualify himself and the proper authorities agreed to allow the exemption of the rule.
According to Baggarly, Cabrera sent a letter to the union on Wednesday via his authorities to request that
Melky is slated to release a statement that says he has “no wish to win an award that would be tainted,” and that he “believe[d] it would be far better for someone more deserving to win.”
It's a noble gesture from someone who was getting set to be put in the crosshairs of America if he won a batting title while being suspended by baseball.
It's also a smart move by someone who's currently being investigated by MLB for attempts to defraud them vis-a-vis a fake website. Melky playing ball with MLB and being genuine about this issue should go a long way towards improving his status with the commissioner's office.