Oakland Museum honors the 22nd year of Dias de los Muertos a community celebration on October 16, 2016. Traditions of Dias de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) will go from 12-4:30pm. Each year, the museum comes alive with craft activities, food, dance, musical performances, colorful ofrendas, and ceremonia, bringing the community together to pay homage to loved ones lost.
The celebration will include:
• Performances ranging from contemporary to folkloric to mariachi, including Oakland-based Latino hip hop group Bang Data, Mexican folkloric dance group Ballet Folklorico Costa de Oro, authentic Mexican musicians Mariachi Tapatio, and up-and-coming artist Gabriela Sepulveda, known for her appearances on La Voz and American Idol.
• A directional altar dedication to passed members of the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense.
• Altar installations by community organizations, including Radical Monarchs, Circúlo de Hombres, Xochipilli, Mujeres Unidas y Activas, La Clínica's Youth Brigade, and Attitudinal Healing Connections.
• Nearly a dozen Off the Grid food trucks, open from 11 am-4:30 pm.
• Twelve mercado vendors selling handmade arts and crafts, including the OMCA Store.
• Engaging hands-on activities and Days of the Dead calavera face painting.
• Live tortilla making demonstrations and traditional Mexican paper maché crafts making.
Advance Tickets: $11.95 – adults
$8.95 for students/seniors/youth
$6.95 for youth ages 9-17
FREE for ages 8 and under
For more information, click here!