Judge Drops Case Over Matthew McConaughey Surf Scuffle

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Matthew McConaughey attends the Dolce&Gabbana 'The One for Men': Milan Fashion Week Menswear on June 18, 2010 in Milan, Italy.

    A judge has dropped charges against two surfers accused of attacking a celebrity photographer shooting photos of Matthew McConaughey on a Malibu beach.

    Los Angeles County district attorney's spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons says the charges were dismissed Friday after prosecutors decided against starting a third trial against the surfers. A jury deadlocked last month on the misdemeanor battery case against Skylar Peak and Philip Hildebrand.

    VIEW THE PHOTOS: The Latest Star Sightings

    Peak and Hildebrand were accused of confronting several paparazzi who showed up to shoot photos of the "Fool's Gold" star on a Malibu beach two years ago.

    Peak's attorney, Harland Braun, said the case was poorly investigated and never should have been filed. He said paparazzi video of the fight had been manipulated to implicate the surfers.

    VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hottest Hollywood Dads!

    Copyright 2010 by Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

    Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
    VIEW THE PHOTOS: Matthew McConaughey
    VIEW THE PHOTOS: 2010 Academy of Country Music Awards

    PLAY IT NOW: 'Ghosts Of Girlfriends Past,' LA Premiere
    PLAY IT NOW: First Look: The Rise Of Hugh Hefner

    More from Access: [ Matthew McConaughey Paparazzi Movies ]