Cops Give Mel Gibson Domestic Violence Case to Prosecutors

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    AP
    Mel Gibson's case is in the hands of the D.A.

    It’s all up to the D.A. now.

    Detectives probing domestic violence allegations against Mel Gibson in connection with a Jan. 6 incident have given prosecutors the results of their investigation, a sheriff's official said on Wednesday.

    Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman Steve Whitmore told The Associated Press the results were turned over Wednesday for a decision on whether charges would be filed.

    The decision into whether the 54-year-old Academy Award-winner attacked his former girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva could take months, according to People mag.

    Since their split in March, Gibson and Grigorieva, a 40-year-old Russian-born singer, have also been locked in a custody battle over their 10-month-old daughter Lucia.

    On a series of leaked tapes last month, a man who sounds like the actor is heard berating and threatening Grigorieva with sexist language.

    Grigorieva later claimed all the recordings that hit the Internet were from a single night.

    "The tapes, as you call them, the voicemails, everything was recorded that night because I was in fear for my life," she told RadarOnline in late July. "I really did not think I was going to make it."

    Gibson has maintained he was the victim of a blackmail attempt by Grigorieva and reportedly turned over text messages and e-mails for a separate probe.

    Whitmore said the investigation of Gibson’s extortion claim has not been completed.

    The "Braveheart" star's spokesman, Alan Nierob, also declined comment to the AP an e-mail message on Wednesday.

    Selected ReadingCNN, The Associated Press, People