Second Inquest Confirms Amy Winehouse Died of Alcohol Poisoning

An initial inquest found that the singer had died from accidental alcohol poisoning.

Tuesday, Jan 8, 2013  |  Updated 4:00 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
In Memoriam

Amy Winehouse was found dead at her London home in July 2011 at the age of 27.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A second coroner's inquest confirmed Tuesday that Amy Winehouse died of accidental alcohol poisoning when she resumed drinking after a period of abstinence.

Coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled that the 27-year-old soul singer "died as a result of alcohol toxicity" and recorded a verdict of death by misadventure. She said there were no suspicious circumstances.

She said that Winehouse "voluntarily consumed alcohol — a deliberate act that took an unexpected turn and led to her death."

The Grammy-winning singer was found dead at her London home on July 23, 2011.

Radcliffe said a postmortem had found that Winehouse had a blood alcohol level five times the legal driving limit, and above a level that can prove fatal.

She said that that much alcohol could affect the central nervous system so much that a patient could "fall asleep and not wake up."

Winehouse's family did not attend the 45-minute inquest, which was held after the original coroner was found to lack the proper qualifications for the job.

The coroner later resigned after her qualifications were questioned. She had been hired by her husband, the senior coroner for inner north London.

The first inquest in 2011 produced an identical verdict.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out