Guillermo Del Toro Exits 'The Hobbit' Director's Chair

By AccessHollywood.com Editorial Staff
|  Monday, May 31, 2010  |  Updated 12:00 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Guillermo Del Toro Exits 'The Hobbit' Director's Chair

Getty Images

Director Guillermo Del Toro attends the 'Hellboy II: The Golden Army' DVD and Blu-Ray release party held at Element on November 11, 2008 in Hollywood, California.

advertisement

Guillermo del Toro has stepped down from the director's chair of "The Hobbit," he announced to fan site TheOneRing.net on Sunday.

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming 'The Hobbit,' I am faced with the hardest decision of my life," he told the site. "After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures… The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project."

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Behind The Lens: Hollywood's Directors

The long-gestating project, slated to be split into two films, has been fraught with issues — ranging from a lawsuit from author J.R.R. Tolkien's estate to the financial troubles of MGM Studios, which is sharing production with New Line.

According to executive producer Peter Jackson, who directed the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and is co-writing the "Hobbit" scripts, del Toro will continue to assist with the writing process over the next few months.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Fan Candy: Superheroes, Sci-Fi & Beyond!

"We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave 'The Hobbit,' but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone's control – has compromised his commitment to other long term projects," Jackson told the site. "The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years."

Del Toro proved his fantasy chops on such films as "Pan's Labyrinth" and the "Hellboy" series prior to being brought in to helm "The Hobbit."

In March, Sir Ian McKellen, who played the wizard Gandalf in the Jackson-directed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, wrote on his Web site that filming would begin this summer, though a New Line spokesperson announced at the time that no date had been set.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Summer Movies 2010

The two films, set prior to the events of "Lord of the Rings," are currently scheduled for December 2012 and December 2013.

Copyright 2010 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: The Latest Star Sightings

Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:

PLAY IT NOW: 2010 Golden Globe Nominations: Tobey Maguire On Globe Nod & 'Hobbit' Rumors
PLAY IT NOW: Access Extended: Steven Spielberg Is At 'Home' At Universal

More from Access: [ Directors Peter Jackson Movies ]

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out