Chilean Miners' Movie to Film Next Year

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Nancy Conrad, wife of the late Pete "Rocketman" Conrad, discusses the problems ahead for the families of the Chilean miners, just after their rescue in October 2010. NASA helped assist in the rescue. (Published Sunday, Jul 24, 2011)

    They already captivated the globe once, when they were trapped a half-mile underground for more than two months last year.

    Now, the story of the 33 Chilean miners is getting set for a second dramatic go-round – on the big screen.

    Producer Mike Medavoy (“Black Swan,” “Shutter Island”) has bought the movie rights to the mine workers’ story and Jose Rivera (“The Motorcycle Diaries”) will adapt a script for the film, which is scheduled to into production in 2012, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

    “Like millions of people around the world, I was completely engrossed watching the rescue at Copiapó," Medavoy said. "At its heart, this is a story about the triumph of the human spirit and a testament to the courage and perseverance of the Chilean people.  I can't think of a better story than this one to bring to the screen."

    Miner Juan Andres Illanes called the development “a great step towards the realization of a film based on our experience in the mine. “ He and his companeros began shopping their pitch earlier this year, The Hollywood Reporter said.

    Medavoy and his Phoenix Pictures business partner Edward McGurn will produce.

    Medavoy has also acquired rights to a book that Pulitzer Prize winner Héctor Tobar is writing about the miners, The New York Times said. The paper noted that the project is for Medavoy a return to his roots, as he grew up in Santiago.

    Selected Reading: The Hollywood Reporter, The New York Times