Meet the Bay Area's Top Young Chefs
Zagat lists up-and-coming chefs, mixologists, restaurateurs and other industry trailblazers under the age of 30 who it says defines the new generation of culinary greatness in the Bay Area.
The famed Zagat Survey is trying out a new way to rate restaurants and are using San Francisco a test market.
Zagat announced Wednesday its inaugural “30 Under 30” San Francisco list. It names 30 Bay Area chefs, restaurateurs, mixologists and industry trailblazers who are in their 20s.
The only other time Zagat has done such a list was in New York City last year.
“We’re proud to identify the new generation of industry professionals that we believe will blaze trails in the Bay Area,” said Tim Zagat. “These young leaders are both in the front and back of the house. They include managers, owners, sommeliers, chefs, cocktail experts and even publishers. They are all worthy of recognition for their business’ success.
Zagat said the talent in the following list has him optimistic about the future of San Francisco’s food and wine industry.
Zagat’s 2012 San Francisco 30 Under 30:
- Francis Ang, Pastry Chef, Fifth Floor (27)
- Ian Begg, Chef-Owner of Txoko and Naked Lunch (29)
- Evan Bloom and Leo Beckerman, Co-Owners, Wise Sons Jewish Delicatessen (26 and 28)
- Danny Bowien, Executive Chef, Mission Chinese (28)
- John Paul Carmona, Pastry Chef, Manresa (28)
- Melissa Chou, Pastry Chef, Aziza (29)
- Juan Contreras, Pastry Chef, Atelier Crenn (29)
- Desmond Echavarrie, Sommelier, French Laundry (29)
- Joey Elenterio, Executive Chef, Chez TJ (26)
- Nicole Erny, Exam Manager for the Cicerone Certification Program® (28)
- Perry Hoffman, Executive Chef, Étoile (27)
- Christopher Kronner, Consulting Chef, St. Vincent (29)
- Alan Kropf, Cocktail Expert, Editor in Chief and Publisher of Mutineer Magazine (28)
- Lena Kwak, Founder of C4C, Research & Development Chef, Thomas Keller Restaurant Group (26)
- Xelina Leyba, General Manager, Commonwealth (29)
- Aaron London, Former Executive Chef, Ubuntu (28)
- Randy Lutz, Executive Chef, Ame (29)
- Andrew Mariani, Vintner, Scribe Winery (29)
- Thomas Martinez, Co-Chef, The Wild Kitchen (25)
- Thomas McNaughton, Chef-Owner, Flour + Water (27)
- Matt McNamara and Teague Moriarty, Chef and Co-Owners of Sons & Daughters (28 and 29)
- Justin Morrison, Co-Owner, Sightglass Coffee (27)
- Eric Railsback, Lead Sommelier & Wine Director at RN74 (26)
- Justin Simoneaux, Executive Chef of Boxing Room (27)
- Carlo Splendorini, Bar Manager, Michael Mina (27)
- Anthony Strong, Executive Chef, Locanda (29)
- Fred Tang, Executive Chef, Spice Kit (28)
- Ethan Terry, Co-Bar Manager, AQ Bar & Restaurant; Co-Founder, Cocktail Lab (28)
- Rodney Wages, Sous-Chef, Morimoto Napa (26)
- Chester Watson, Executive Chef, Trick Dog (29)
You can get their bios and photos at this link.