O.J. Simpson went before a Nevada parole panel Thursday for a hearing regarding the sentence handed down after his 2008 conviction for kidnapping and armed robbery in a Las Vegas hotel room raid.
Watch: OJ Simpson Parole Hearing
The former NFL and USC football star told the two-member Nevada panel that he regrets the night he went to the Palace Station hotel room to retrieve sports memorabilia from two dealers. Simpson claims the items were taken after his 1995 murder "trial of the century" in Los Angeles.
"I just wish I never went to that room," Simpson said. "I wish I just said keep it.''
He added that he has been a model inmate while serving his time at a northern Nevada prison.
Simpson, 66, asked for parole on five charges in connection with his sentence for the 2007 raid. He appeared before the commissioners on a live video feed from the Lovelock Corrections Center during the 15-minute hearing.
But even if parole is granted, he would still have to serve at least four more years in prison because of sentences imposed for other charges.
"It doesn't open the cell door," H. Leon Simon, the prosecutor handling Simpson's appeal, said Wednesday. "He'd just start serving the consecutive sentences."
The panel is expected to make a recommendation Thursday. That decision will be forwarded to a seven-member parole board for consideration.
Simpson would need four votes for parole approval.
"My intent was not to rob from anybody," Simspon said Thursday. "I knew both of these guys who had my stuff. I was a little upset with them, and I think I wasn't as civil as I should have been.
"I brought two guys with me that I didn't really know, and didn't really trust, and that's on me. For that, I've been here for five years and all I could do about it is be as respectful and straight-forward as I could be."
Simpson was sentenced in 2008 to nine to 33 years in prison for his role in the 2007 raid at the Palace Station hotel in Las Vegas. The Hall of Fame running back and a group of men -- four co-defendants pleaded guilty to felonies and testified for the prosecution -- planned to retrieve sports memorabilia and other items.
He has said he was not aware two of the men in the group had guns.
Simpson is still awaiting a judge's decision after a hearing earlier this year at which Simpson argued for a new trial based on claims that his trial lawyer failed in his defense. The weeklong hearing in May included testimony on the stand from Simspon -- something he did not do during the trial phase or his 1995 murder trial in Los Angeles for the slayings of his ex-wife and her friend.
The judge in the May hearing has not indicated when she will issue a decision.
More Southern California Stories:
- Sheriff Reviews Racially Explicit Comedy Act
- Deputy Shoots, Kills Man in Violent Struggle
- Pomona College #2 of Forbes Top Colleges
- Second Body Found in OC Park Identified
- Terry Smith's Mom Speaks About Losing Children
- Dream Act Compromise Could Split Families
- Residents Decry Oil Drilling in Hermosa Beach
- SoCal Responds to Spotlight on Latino Health