Aaron Hern, the 11-year-old boy hurt in the Boston Marathon blast, was released from the hospital on Thursday. He spoke from a wheelchair in Boston. Video courtesy of WHDH.
The Martinez boy who was hurt in last week's Boston Marathon bombings is out of the hospital.
Aaron Hern will stay in the area for another week so that he can be close to his doctors, but a family friend said he is doing well and is back to being a normal silly 11- year-old.
The Hern's went to the bombing site on Boylston Street Thursday. The family was met by a flood of reporters, including a still photographer from the Associated Press.
"It's a little hard to do things I used to," Aaron said, speaking to WHDH from a wheelchair in Boston on Thursday.
Still, his parents were grateful.
"I can't say enough about how amazing the staff at Children's Hopsital was," Aaron's mother, Katherine said, with an emotional pause.
Aaron was with his father, Alan, his sister, Abby, and two family friends cheering on his mom as she finished the marathon when he was hit by shrapnel from the second bomb during the twin blasts at the Boston Marathon.
His dad said he was just six feet away from the device.
A "recovery fund" has been set up for Aaron, who is a popular sixth-grader.
Anyone wishing to donate money to assist with Aaron's recovery can deposit cash in the "Aaron Hern Recovery Fund" at any Wells Fargo Bank branch.
The fund was set up by Katherine Burcell Chapman, a family friend. Donations to the fund will help pay Aaron's bills.
Aaron turns 12 on May 1 and the family hoped to be home by then.