Berkeley Balcony Collapse Investigation Could Lead to Manslaughter Charges - NBC Bay Area
East Bay

East Bay

The latest news from around the East Bay

Berkeley Balcony Collapse Investigation Could Lead to Manslaughter Charges

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Prosecutors said Thursday they have opened a criminal investigation into a fatal Berkeley balcony collapse that could lead to involuntary manslaughter charges. Chuck Coppola reports. (Published Thursday, June 25, 2015)

    Prosecutors said Thursday they have opened a criminal investigation into the fatal Berkeley balcony collapse that could lead to involuntary manslaughter charges.

    However, Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley declined to discuss any possible target of her investigation, saying it could end with no charges being filed.

    "We will ultimately have to make a determination whether the facts support criminal charges and whether those facts can be proven beyond reasonable doubt in a court of law,'' O'Malley said during a packed news conference at her Oakland office.

    Six students were killed last week, including five from Ireland, and seven others were injured when a balcony broke from the side of a Berkeley apartment building.

    O'Malley announced the criminal investigation two days after city inspectors said the balcony was supported by wooden beams that had been badly rotted by water damage. City officials said at that time they would investigate no further.

    City of Berkeley spokesman Matthai Chakko declined to comment further Thursday, citing the criminal investigation.

    O'Malley said law enforcement officials have secured the fallen, fifth-story balcony for examination by forensic experts.

    Another balcony one story below the fallen one was removed from the apartment building and is also being held by law enforcement officials as part of the criminal probe, O'Malley said.

    O'Malley said prosecutors would have to show criminal negligence was involved in the collapse in order to file charges and gain convictions.

    "It is possible that we will conclude that the facts will not support a criminal prosecution,'' O'Malley said.

    Co. Pays $6.5M to Settle Past Balcony Cases

    [BAY] Co. Pays $6.5M to Settle Past Balcony Cases
    The construction company that built the apartment complex in Berkeley where a balcony collapsed during a 21st birthday party, sending six students to their deaths, has been sued at least twice and paid $6.5 million to settle the suits in cases that claimed its balconies prematurely rotted and failed. Kim Yonenaka reports.
    (Published Thursday, June 18, 2015)

    Trevor Martin, a spokesman for Segue Construction, the contractor in charge of building the Berkeley apartment complex, said, "We continue to offer our full cooperation to all investigating authorities.''

    The company recently settled two lawsuits involving balconies with dry rot at two apartment buildings in California for a combined $6.5 million.

    Lawyers say it's difficult to win convictions against property owners, contractors and others involving allegations of construction failures.

    The last known criminal prosecution of a balcony collapse in California occurred in San Francisco almost 20 years ago.

    A prosecutor charged a property owner with involuntary manslaughter and other counts related to the 1996 fatal collapse of a balcony in the city's Pacific Heights neighborhood. That collapse killed one person and injured 14 others.

    A jury deadlocked on the manslaughter charge, which prosecutors dismissed. The landlord was convicted of two misdemeanors and paid $13.5 million to settle lawsuits, according to lawyer Niall McCarthy, who represented one of the people hurt.

    Get the latest from NBC Bay Area anywhere, anytime
    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android