Child Burned by Stove Fire

Authorities say the family was using the stove to heat their home.

By Ayesha Minhaj
|  Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012  |  Updated 12:34 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Child, Warming Himself, Suffers Burns

Firefighters responded to a call at 7 am Wednesday morning.

advertisement

A 6-year-old boy suffered minor burns to his right arm Wednesday morning after he got too close to a kitchen stove. Flames from the stove caught his shirt on fire.

Firefighters said they arrived at the home in the 8600 block of Hillside Avenue at around 7 a.m. They found a trash can inside the home was on fire. The fire had not significantly spread and was quickly extinguished.

Authorities later learned that the stove inside the home was left on to help heat the house. The little boy got too close to an open flame, and his shirt caught fire. The boy allegedly did not want to tell anyone, and removed his shirt and threw it into the trash. 

He suffered from first and second degree burns to his arm but is expected to fully recover.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out