The City of San Jose decided to reopen the Butcher dog park as of Thursday morning.
The dog park had been closed due to the suspicious death of a dog last Saturday. Initially it was suspected the dog was poisoned while romping through the popular park.
Necropsy reports on the dog's body, who suddenly collapsed in seizures, showed no apparent signs of poisonous toxins. Further testing is being done to determine exactly what the dog died of.
“Because the dog’s symptoms mimicked those of an animal that had ingested a poisonous substance, we opted to close the park immediately for the safety of our residents and their pets,” Animal Care & Services Deputy Director, Jon Cicirelli explained. “We feel comfortable, given the findings and the ability to clean the park, that it can safely be opened.”
As an additional precaution, officials pressure washed the park prior to opening.