Carbon Monoxide Sickens Family

Owning a CO detector is the law.

Sunday, Nov 27, 2011  |  Updated 4:47 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Carbon Monoxide Sickens Family

They cost around $30, but can save your life.

Fire officials in Hayward are reminding resident to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes after three people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in the city this morning.

Staff at Kaiser Permanente called the Hayward Fire Department this morning to report that two adults and a child with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning had arrived at the hospital's emergency room earlier this morning,

Capt. Thor Poulsen said. Fire officials went to the victims' home at 758 Ellen Ave. and found measurable amounts of the toxic gas, Poulsen said.

It was the first night of the season that the family had operated the household heating system, which leaked the carbon monoxide, Poulsen said.

PG&E crews are investigating, and the home is currently uninhabitable. As of July, all single family homes in California are required to have carbon monoxide detectors, which typically cost less than $30, Poulsen said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in headaches, dizziness, nausea, and death. More information can be obtained by calling the Hayward Fire Department Emergency Services Office at (510) 583-4948.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out