NBC Bay Area
A fire at a Fairfield apartment on April 29 killed cousins Robert Christopher Charles, 4; Natalie Rogers, 2; Nevaeh Nunn, 2; and 1-year-old Keviana Michelle Morgan.
The tragic case of a Fairfield apartment fire that killed four young cousins is headed for the county district attorney's desk.
Fairfield police said they're completing a criminal investigation into a fire that killed Robert Christopher Charles, 4; Natalie Rogers, 2; Nevaeh Nunn, 2; and 1-year-old Keviana Michelle Morgan and forwarding it to the Solano County District Attorney's Office.
The children's mothers, sisters Latisha and Shetera James, were outside when the fire started. A candle burning on a television set in a front living room was cited as the probable cause of the blaze.
Fairfield police Lt. Darrin Moody said the criminal investigation involves both mothers, but he said the district attorney will decide whether to file charges in the case
As many as three candles were burning in the room where the children were left alone, investigators said, and there were combustible materials nearby. Pacific Gas and Electric confirmed power had been disconnected to the apartment before the fire for failure to make payments.
Neighbors said Latisha and Shetera James may have been using extension cords from other areas to get electricity into their home.
"My heart goes out to all of them," Don Morgan, the great-grandfather of Keviana, said of the children at a memorial Sunday. "It's been really hard. We've received a lot of support from total strangers."
Keviana's father and Don Morgan's grandson, Kevin Morgan, was killed in a shooting in February 2008 before Keviana was born. Don Morgan wore a white T-shirt to the memorial with pictures of his grandson.
This article originally appeared on KCRA.com