City's Oldest Restaurant to Reopen a Day After $150,000 Fire

Historic San Francisco grill saved by fire crews after a "flue fire"

Monday, Aug 24, 2009  |  Updated 4:40 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Fire Crews Save City's Oldest Restaurant

The City's oldest restaurant was the victim of a $150,000 fire on Monday.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

San Francisco's oldest restaurant nearly went up in smoke Monday but luckily for Tadich Grill it was able to handle the heat.

Firefighters responded in force to a two-alarm fire at 240 California St. in San Francisco midday Monday and a man who answered the phone at Tadich Grill confirmed the building was burning.

Fire crews estimated the damage at $150,000. An employee, who answered the restaurant's phone on Monday afternoon, said despite the damage the cafe grills will back on Tuesday at 11 a.m. and the menu should not be effected. The historic restaurant was opened in 1849.

Deputy Fire Chief Pat Gardner told the San Francisco Chronicle the fire originated from a wood-burning stove and was a "typical flue fire" that wasn't "severe enough to keep it out of operation for long."

An adjacent building at 230 California St. sustained exposure damage estimated at $10,000, according to the fire department. But there were no injuries.

A NBC Bay Area viewer sent in a picture of smoke from the fire, which she took from a downtown high rise building.  It was mostly white smoke, which usually indicated crews have control of a blaze.

Another viewer wrote in to say he worked at 555 market and saw 10 to 12 fire emergency vehicles with lights and sirens passing his workplace at 11:26 a.m.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out