There was a united front in San Jose Friday morning with law enforcement and city officials vowing to work together to fight a growing crime rate.
The San Jose Police Chief, San Jose Mayor, the Santa Clara County Sheriff, the District Attorney, the probation department and dozens of other stakeholders joined a weekly gang task force meeting.
Summer 2012 is already one of the deadliest in years in the city of San Jose. There have been eight homicides in the last 11 days. The body count for the year stands at 33.
Last year at this time the number of deaths was 28 lives lost.
On Friday, Police Chief Chris Moore announce the city is allocating $800,000 for police overtime.
Moore also said that his officers can handle the job adding he will not ask the California Highway Patrol to help out.
Moore said he knows there is a huge challenge ahead for the men and women in blue, but he vows to keep fighting to put more boots on the ground in San Jose.
Homicide No. 33 happened in San Jose Thursday night at 10:50 p.m. at S. King Road and Burdette Drive. Armondo Miguel Heredia, 18, was shot and killed in what police say appears to be a gang related homicide.
Witnesses said the shooter ran away.
Chief Moore told NBC Bay Area that officers arrived at the scene within 60 seconds of getting the 911 call and that helped them gather what he is calling key evidence in the case.
No arrests have been made.