DA Seeks to Stop Release of Sunnyvale Serial Rapist

LA District Attorney says her office will challenge a Bay Area judge's decision to release a sexually violent predator

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Los Angeles County Jackie Lacey is trying to stop the release of a serial rapist who previously victimized women in the Bay Area. George Kiriyama reports. (Published Tuesday, Jul 9, 2013)

    Cathy McRae remembers his face and his name: Christopher Evans Hubbart.

    "I remember the newspaper clippings," McRae said in front of her Sunnyvale home. From 1979 to 1981, she says women in Sunnyvale were terrified.

    Serial Rapist to Be Released in Claremont

    [LA] Serial Rapist to Be Released in Claremont
    A serial rapist who admitted to sexually assaulting about 40 women was expected to be released into Claremont in November due to a court ruling. The Los Angeles District Attorney's office is fighting the decision. Kim Baldonado reports from Claremont for NBC4 News at 11 p.m. on Tuesday, July 9, 2013. (Published Wednesday, Jul 10, 2013)

    Hubbart was arrested and convicted of raping 15 women in the area during that two year period.

    "I remember when he got caught. That was a big deal. That was a real big deal around here. I'm flabbergasted. I knew it was a lot of women. But I didn't know it was 15," McRae said.

    What McRae and others didn't know was Hubbard was responsible for raping 25 other women in the Los Angeles area during the 1970s. That's 40 victims in more than ten years.

    In 1980, Hubbart was released from prison. But shortly thereafter the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office says he attacked a woman at Monroe Middle School in San Jose as she was walking home. Since then, Hubbard has spent most of his time in state hospitals in Atascasdero and Coalinga.

    But now a judge has granted him conditional release from the Coalinga State Hospital after experts said Hubbart was ready to go back into society.

    Vonda Tracey leads the Forensic Mental Issues Team for the Santa Clara County District Attorney's office. She says Hubbart will be moving back to his native Los Angeles County. "He's done terrible things. And I absolutely understand that nobody would want the guy living next door. That being said, he has the legal right to ask for release once he's completed his inpatient treatment," Tracey said.

    She says Hubbart will be monitored with a GPS ankle monitor, receive treatment and will have a curfew.

    "And he's going to be very heavily supervised. More heavily supervised than any inmate coming out of state prison or county jail." Tracey said.

    The Los Angeles County District Attorney's office does not want to see Hubbart move back to their area.

    A prosecutor from its office flew to San Jose Tuesday afternoon to file legal paperwork to block his release to LA County. Neighbors in Sunnyvale are convinced only bad things can come out of this.

    "I'm concerned for the people in LA County and beyond that we go to LA. We like LA. We like to not be raped in LA," Elizabeth Krietemeyer, a Sunnyvale resident, said.

    But it could be several months before Hubbart is released anyway because of logistics such as picking out a home for him.