Dangerous Amounts of Lead in Asian Candies
Too-high levels of lead in some Asian candies.
A study has found "dangerously high amounts of toxic chemicals" in plum and ginger candies sold in the Bay Area, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
The candies, made in Asia and sold in the Bay Area, had much higher amounts of lead than is allowed, according to the newspaper. They were sold at supermarkets in the East Bay, but can be found elsewhere, the newspaper reported.
"Children may want to think twice about snacking on the... popular candies exported from Asia," the newspaper warned.
Lead in candy can be no mote than one-tenth parts per million, according to Proposition 65, passed in 1986. These "treats" had lead from four to 39 times that amount, the newspaper reported -- and one had 96 times the amount, according to a study conducted by the Center for Environmental Health.
The candy sellers and manufacturers did not respond to the center or the newspaper for comment.
Lead can lead to many issues, including fertility, memory and mental defects, and death, the newspaper warned.
Copyright NBC Owned Television Stations