2 Bodies Found After Sunnyvale Mobile Home Fire

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A man and woman are presumed dead after the man rushed his son out of a burning mobile home in Sunnyvale and went back inside to help his girlfriend early Thursday morning, officials with the city's Department of Public Safety said. (Published Thursday, May 8, 2014)

    A man and woman are presumed dead after the man rushed his son out of a burning mobile home in Sunnyvale and went back inside to help his girlfriend early Thursday morning, officials with the city's Department of Public Safety said.

    The two-alarm fire was reported around 2 a.m. at a mobile home in the 1000 block of Borregas Avenue, Capt. Carl Rushmeyer said.

    Couple Dead after Sunnyvale Fire

    [BAY] Couple Dead after Sunnyvale Fire
    A Sunnyvale couple is dead after a fire at a mobile home park overnight. Christie Smith reports. (Published Thursday, May 8, 2014)

    The unit was at the corner of the entrance to Cape Cod Village, a mobile home community for seniors ages 55 and older, Rushmeyer said.

    Firefighters responded and extinguished the blaze about 20 minutes later.

    A man believed to be in his 40s had come out of the home and told authorities that he lived in the unit with his parents, Rushmeyer said.

    Witness statements indicate the man's father rushed his son out of the home and went back inside to help his girlfriend, Capt. Jeff Hunter said Thursday afternoon.

    Two people, a man and a woman in their 70s, were later found dead inside. Hunter said that the medical examiner has not confirmed their identities but that it appears they were the man's parents.

    The man who escaped is a dependent adult and is being assisted by the American Red Cross while investigators work to notify his family.

    Only those three people lived in the trailer, which is a total loss, Hunter said. They had two cats, one of which was confirmed dead while the other is unaccounted for.

    The blaze started in the kitchen and Hunter said it appears to have started with a cooking fire that got out of control, Hunter said.

    The flames did not cause any other injuries and did not spread to other units at the mobile home community, but excessive heat broke windows at a home next to the involved unit, according to Rushmeyer.