NBC Bay Area
The explosion and subsequent fire in San Bruno on Sept. 9 destroyed 37 homes, killed eight people and left dozens with injuries.
Federal officials dealt a blow to San Bruno late last week, denying emergency funds to help pay disaster funds to victims of the deadly blast that leveled a neighborhood on Sept. 9 when a Pacific Gas and Electric natural gas line ruptured.
State officials requested millions in federal disaster aid to help victims but on Tuesday, they announced the Federal Emergency Management Agency denied the request.
FEMA spokesman Brad Carroll said the agency had determined state and local governments, along with PG&E could cover the costs of recovery. But FEMA will reimburse the state for up to 75 percent of the cost of fighting the fire that consumed the Crestmoor Canyon neighborhood when the blast happened.
The state is expected to appeal the decision. San Bruno Mayor Jim Ruane said he planned to meet with federal officials to make a plea for funds to help in the recovery.
"San Bruno shouldn't be left with a second disaster." Said Rep. Jackie Speier, D-Hillsborough. "While FEMA sees deep pockets of PG&E, FEMA should at least be a backstop if deep pockets are not there."
The explosion and subsequent fire destroyed 37 homes, killed eight people and left dozens with injuries.