A five-alarm fire engulfed a comedy club in Fairfield Friday night, fire Chief Vincent Webster said.
The fire was reported at about 6:45 p.m. by someone who was inside.
The fire appeared to have originated in the second story of the building, according to fire crews.
A witness told our sister station in Sacramento that he saw what appeared to be a bottle rocket or fireworks before power lines above the building started to burst in flames. "It was raining fire everywhere like the Fourth of July," Tyler Spriggs said on KCRA's Facebook page. He said the flames were shooting 30-to-40 foot high.
The Original Pepperbelly's Comedy & Variety Theater is located at 849 Texas St.
The building is a two-story structure that was built in the 1960s, Webster said.
The blaze may have started inside the building, he said.
Firefighters decided they couldn't fight the fire from inside and are battling it from outside, according to Webster.
No injuries have been reported.
There were comedy shows scheduled for the entire weekend. Those will likely be canceled if they can't find a replacement venue.
Below is a photo from the Pepper Belly website that shows the stage prior to the fire.
Bay City News contributed to this report.