A family has filed a lawsuit after a member of their family died from eating eggs tainted with salmonella. NBC Bay Area's Jodi Hernandez has more on their loss and the lawsuit they're filing.
The family of a Castro Valley man who died after eating salmonella-laced eggs at a restaurant in 2010 has sued (PDF) the farms that produced the eggs and the people who served them.
Mate Marlais' son, Daivd Marlais of Hayward, is seeking unspecified damages against Wright County Egg and El Rancho Steakhouse for the wrongful death of his father, according to a brief filed in Alameda County.
Marlais died June 13, six days after eating eggs at the Castro Valley steakhouse in 2010, according to the filing.
David Marlais told NBC Bay Area on Tuesday that his father loved to have two eggs over easy, dates and toast every morning.
The suit claims that the 89-year-old was found by his daughter-in-law lying in a pool of diarrhea just days after eating the eggs.
David Marlais believes his elderly father was robbed of his life, saying his dad -- a father of three -- was active until he died.
The eggs were reportedly contaminated with salmonella that was eventually linked to the Wright County Egg farm in Iowa. Attempts to reach representatives there were not immediately successful.
The Marlais' attorney, Ron Simon of Houston, told NBC Bay Area there are more than 100 people impacted by these particular eggs. But Mate Marlais is the only person who died from eating them, he said.
The farm was at the center of a 2010 salmonella outbreak that forced a recall of hundreds of thousands of eggs that had been distributed across the country.
About 266 people in California and almost 1,300 across the country had been hospitalized after eating the eggs, according to reports.
The suit claims that the ranch and the restaurant are responsible for Marlais' death.