Hayward Firefighters Rescue Basset Hound

Firefighters in Hayward rescued a dog from a house fire Sunday night.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hayward firefighter holds Maddie, a basset hound rescued in a house fire.

    Hayward firefighters didn't just put out a house fire, they helped save the life of a four-legged pooch.

    Fire crews responded to a report of a fire at a single-story house on Lafayette Avenue around 8:15p.m. Sunday, Hayward Fire Inspector Gerry Price said.

    Crews entered the home and were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, knocking down the flames in 10 to 15 minutes, Price said.

    The couple living in the home safely evacuated but told fire crews that their 13-year-old basset hound, Maddie, was still inside.

    Fire crews "went through every bedroom, nook, cranny and closet and found the dog," Price said. Hayward firefighter Ed Camera found Maddie in the last bedroom he was searching. 

    Camera scooped up the dog, wrapped his arms around her and carried her to safety, Price said. Maddie is blind in one eye from a previous surgery, but was uninjured. 

    No injuries to residents or firefighters were reported.

    Objects on the top of a lit kitchen stove apparently started the fire, according to Price. The kitchen sustained damage while the rest of the house sustained only smoke damage.