Firefighters Rescue Sleeping Woman from Burning Apartment

The Hayward woman was treated at the scene and taken to the hospital for possible smoke inhalation, while two dogs did not require medical attention.

By Patricia Decker
|  Saturday, Apr 28, 2012  |  Updated 4:16 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Sleeping Woman Rescued from Burning Apartment

AP

Firefighters responded to the two-story apartment on Cypress Avenue after the neighbor smelled smoke and called the fire department Friday night.

advertisement

A Hayward woman whose apartment caught fire Friday night after she fell asleep with food cooking on the stove has her quick-acting neighbor to thank for her life, fire investigator Gerry Price said.

Firefighters responded to the two-story apartment in the 25000 block of Cypress Avenue after the neighbor smelled smoke and called the fire department at about 10:30 p.m., Price said.

"Timing was crucial," Price said, and he commended the neighbor for being alert and taking swift action.

Firefighters found the woman asleep in an upstairs bedroom and took her and her two small dogs to safety.

The woman was treated at the scene and transported to Eden Medical Center for possible smoke inhalation, while the two dogs did not require medical attention, Price said.

No one else was inside the home, and no other injuries were reported.

Firefighters brought the fire under control within 15 minutes of their arrival and contained most of the damage to the kitchen, with smoke damage occurring throughout the 1,400-square-foot apartment.

The one-alarm fire caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, Price said.

Four fire engines, one truck and two battalion chiefs responded to the scene.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out