Fremont Haunted House Poses Safety Scare

Some 2,000 people went through the Delaware Drive haunted house last year.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    A project that has been in the works for months needs to begin from scratch and ready for trick or treaters in weeks.

    Halloween is supposed to be a scary holiday, but a Fremont teenager wasn't expecting his spook to come from city hall.

    The city has ordered Chris Stelle to cease and desist all work on a backyard haunted house he was planning.

    Stelle has been inviting youngster to come through his backyard since 2005. His family's Delaware Drive home is a favorite for hundreds of young people come Oct. 31.

    Fremont Haunted House Too Scary For City Hall

    [BAY] Fremont Haunted House Too Scary For City Hall
    Jean Elle reports on a Fremont tradition that just got too extravagant for a backyard.

    Steele said this year was going to be the biggest "House of Horrors" yet. That is until the city came knocking. Officials say he need permits to do the kind of construction work he's undertaking to make his haunted house.  A planning engineer with Fremont told the Merc that its a matter of safety.

    Fremont officials said they had no choice but to investigate after a neighbor brought it to their attention.

    Steele said he isn't going down without a fight. He hopes to be able to work soemthing out with the city and set up the house in a nearby church parking lot. 

    View more videos at: http://nbcbayarea.com.