Police were reportedly searching for a gunman in East Oakland who exchanged shots with an officer late Monday morning.
Oakland's Roosevelt Middle School was placed on lock down for hours Monday as police searched for a gunman.
Police said they arrested the man they were looking for after a three hour manhunt.
This all began when Oakland police said they received reports of a burglary in progress on 17th Avenue around 10:30 a.m.
When officers arrived, police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said they found a man standing at the front door of a home armed more than one hand gun.
Watson told Bay City News that the man then pointed a gun at officers and shot at them. She said police returned fire.
No officers were hit, and the man ran off into a nearby yard, according to police.
The search area expanded to the near by San Antonio neighborhood. The NBC Bay Area helicopter was above the area and showed officers lined up in mass with their guns drawn. Many used their patrol cars as shields.
Police said that there were no injuries reported.
SWAT officers in black tank-like vehicles also arrived on the scene and a CHP helicopter circled the area. Watson said every available Oakland police officer had been called to the scene. She said police are only responding to 911 calls in the rest of the city during the manhunt.
School officials said the lock down at Roosevelt was a precaution and that all of the students and staff there were safe. The school remained locked down for a time even after the gunman was captured. Officials told NBC Bay Area they were waiting for the official word that the area was "call clear."
"We prefer that parents not come to the site and try to claim their kids," school district spokesman Troy Flint told BCN. "It's actually more dangerous to try to extract them from the perimeter of safety that we have established."
The man was taken to the Oakland jail. The neighborhood was back to normal by dinnertime.