Hazmat Situation Forces Oakridge Mall Evacuation

One person was taken to the hospital after cleaning products in the mall's bathroom combined to create a dangerous vapor.

Friday, Dec 23, 2011  |  Updated 5:59 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Images: 10 Dogs Found Poisoned

Getty Images

The vapor was reported near the movie theatre and the entire second floor of Oakridge Mall was evacuated.

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

A hazardous materials incident at San Jose's Oakridge Mall has been declared under control, a fire department spokesman said.

A moviegoer reported a hazardous vapor coming from cleaning materials in a bathroom at the movie theater on the second floor of the mall on Blossom Hill Road at about 2 p.m., Capt. Mike Van Elgort, a spokesman for the fire department, said.

Firefighters responded and evacuated dozens of people from the entire second floor of the mall.

The lobby, which was closed to allow crews to clean up the product, was reopened at about 4:45 p.m.

Van Elgort said cleaning products in the bathroom apparently combined to create a dangerous vapor. He said a member of the mall staff that was cleaning the bathroom accidentally poured an excessive amount of an over the-counter cleaning product in a toilet or on the ground.

The moviegoer who reported the incident, a male adult, was transported to a hospital for minor respiratory injuries from the vapor. He had been released as of 5 p.m.

Santa Clara County and San Jose hazardous materials teams investigated and eliminated the hazard, Van Elgort said.

Bay City News

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out