Firefighters are crediting a home health care worker with saving the lives of an elderly couple from a two-alarm house fire in the South Bay.
The fire broke out just before 5 p.m. Saturday at a home on Braxton Avenue in south San Jose.
It was Conrad Gozon’s first day caring for a 92-year-old man and his wife.
Gozon said he smelled smoke, and then saw the fire.
He dragged the 92-year-old man out of the house and then went back into the home, which was engulfed in flames, to rescue the elderly woman.
“I can’t leave nobody behind … but at the same time I was panicking, I was on my adrenalin rush, so I gotta do what I gotta do," he said.
Investigators say the cause is under investigation but they suspect the fire was sparked by one of those old free-standing hair dryers.
The house is considered a total loss but nobody was seriously hurt.