Lawsuit: Carbon Monoxide In Burlingame Hotel Gave Pilot Brain Damage

A pilot has brain damage after he was poisoned at his hotel.

By Chris Roberts
|  Friday, Jan 18, 2013  |  Updated 11:42 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Kinetic Race is Weirdness on Wheels: a Look Back

advertisement
Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Severely-high carbon monoxide levels in a Burlingame hotel room nearly killed a 58-year old corporate pilot, who is suing the hotel because of the brain damage he suffered.

Robert McNamara missed a meeting in November at the hotel where he was staying for a work-related function. When colleagues went to look for him, he was found unconscious in his hotel room at the Embassy Suites in Burlingame, according to the Bay Area News Group.

McNamara was rushed to a hospital where doctors struggled to find out what was wrong, according to the newspaper. Meanwhile, the medic who brought him to the hospital suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Sure enough, a fire department crew detected carbon monoxide throughout the building, but at safe levels -- until they found 990 parts per million in McNamara's room.

A level at 1,000 parts per million will cause an adult to pass out within an hour, according to reports.

The hotel was evacuated via the fire alarm, but nobody else was hospitalized. The carbon monoxide came from a malfunctioning boiler.

McNamara and his wife, of Bakersfield, are seeking unspecified damage in the suit, filed Jan. 11.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out