Each week, we bring you our top picks for the best places to booze on the cheap in SF. This week, we devote the entire column to Thursday's Cinco de Mayo celebrations.
1. Andalu: The Mission tapas palace will be offering deals on both food and drinks for the holiday, with your choice of the house margarita or a Midori margarita for $5. Midori ambassadors will also be pouring free shots of Midori Super Sour from 6:30 to 8:30. If the booze is making you peckish, $10 buys four of the restaurant's famed ahi-tuna tacos. (5:30-10 pm, at Andalu, 3198 16th St., Mission.)
2. Royal Exchange: If you feel like sneaking out of work early, this FiDi bar offers a fairly direct route from officeland to party town. They'll have a $10 happy meal of three tacos, a tequila shot, and a pint of Pacifico, plus Herradura Silver margaritas for $7 all day long. (11:30 am-10 pm, at Royal Exchange, 301 Sacramento St., Financial District.)
3. Tres: Maybe you don't have to go to work at all, or your boss likes to booze as much as you do. In that case, soak up some sunshine at the former Tres Agaves, which recently expanded and lost the "Agaves" part of the name. In the early afternoon, they'll be offering $5 house margaritas, $4 Dos Equis and Tecate, and $2 tacos. The entertainment-- ballet folklorico, mariachis, and, no joke, luchadores-- will take over the alley next door to provide some drunken delight. (Happy hour 12-3 pm, DJs and party 6 pm-12:45 am, at Tres, 130 Townsend St., SOMA.)
4. Pisco and Destino: Cinco de Mayo isn't just a Battle of Puebla celebration for the folks at Destino-- it's also the restaurant's 11th birthday. To celebrate, Destino and next-door sister Pisco will be dishing out $5 drink specials all evening, with DJ accompaniment. FYI, if you're planning to eat: both storefronts do food, but Destino is a sit-down joint with reservations recommended, while Pisco is more come-as-you-are. (5 pm-1 am, at Pisco and Destino, 1815-1817 Market St., Upper Market.)
5. Hustler Club: Finally, if you prefer your Cinco de Mayo to have more naked women in it, the Hustler Club is offering a pretty undeniable drink deal: both Patron shots and bottles of Dos Equis will be going for $2 a pop. With top-shelf tequila going at that price, it's a good thing they've also booked the El Tonayense taco truck to provide backup outside. (11:30 am-4 am, at Larry Flynt's Hustler Club, 1031 Kearny St., North Beach.)