Today is a day to do more than just fire up the BBQ. It's a time to remember the men and women who died while serving our country.
Here is a roundup of Memorial Day events happening around the Bay Area. And don't worry, showers won't move in until later in the day. So get outside early to pay your respects.
- 10 a.m. Color Guard flag presentation, moment of silence, and singing of God Bless America and the National Anthem at Great America in Santa Clara. From 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., military vehicles will be on hand for kids to play on. Moffett Field personnel will meet guests.
- 10 a.m. The 92nd annual Memorial Day ceremony at Oakland's Mountain View Cemetery, 5000 Piedmont Ave. Includes a 21-gun salute and dove release.
- 10 a.m. Marin County Memorial Day ceremony, includes a keynote speech by retired U.S. Marine Jarred Burr at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Marin Center, 10 Ave. of the Flags, San Rafael.
- 10:30 a.m. Memorial Day commemoration and parade at the Presidio of San Francisco includes a noon 21-gun salute, features an address by U.S. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-San Francisco. A march is expected to start at the Presidio main post parade ground at Lincoln Boulevard and Montgomery Street, and will continue to the national cemetery, 1 Lincoln Blvd., San Francisco.
- 11 a.m. Retired Gen. Walter L. Sharp, the Department of Defense 60th Anniversary of the Korean War Commemoration Committee Honorary Chairman, will participate in two wreath laying ceremonies, provide formal remarks, and honor Korean War Veterans at the Presidio National Cemetery in San Francisco.