Oakland Boy to be Released From Hospital Following Shooting

An 11-year-old boy is expected to be released from Oakland Children's Hospital following a shooting.

Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012  |  Updated 3:09 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Oakland Boy to be Released From Hospital Following Shooting

Getty Images

An 11-year-old boy who was seriously injured when a barrage of bullets was fired into his family's East Oakland home last week is expected to be released from the hospital as early as today.

advertisement

An 11-year-old boy who was seriously injured when a barrage of bullets was fired into his family's East Oakland home last week is expected to be released from the hospital as early as today.

Luis Duenas Hernandez was sleeping at his family's home in the 200 block of Makin Road just before 1 a.m. last Thursday when multiple shots were fired into the home and he was struck by two bullets.

There were nine people in the house at the time of the shooting but Luis was the only person who was injured, family members said.

Luis' brother, 16-year-old Francisco Duenas, said today that Luis' parents are completing paperwork to finalize Luis' release from Children's  Hospital Oakland and that Luis is expected to go home this afternoon.

Children's Hospital spokeswoman Erin Goldsmith said she can't confirm that Luis is being released, but she said he is in good condition.

Oakland police Sgt. Chris Bolton said investigators are still pursuing leads in the shooting but can't divulge further details because they don't want to compromise the case.

 

Follow NBC BAY AREA for the latest news, weather, and events: iPad App | iPhone App | Android App | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | RSS | Text Alerts | Email Alerts

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out