Oakland Cleans Up After Night of Heated Demonstrations

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    TK
    NBC Bay Area
    The evening started off peacefully with about 800 people gathering downtown to voice their opinions, but at about 8 p.m., a small, hostile crowd began moving toward a police line that had been held for several hours.

    The city of Oakland is cleaning up after a night of demonstrations and arrests in reaction to the Johannes Mehserle trial verdict. Police remained on duty overnight Thursday and into Friday morning, patrolling the streets and making sure protesters don't become unruly again.
     
    Police arrested about 80 people in Oakland Thursday night and early Friday morning as officers responded to protests following the verdict, police Chief Anthony Batts said.

    Charges for the people arrested range from failure to disperse and resisting arrest to burglary, vandalism and assaulting a police officer. Everybody who was arrested was taken to county jail.

    The evening started off peacefully with about 800 people gathering downtown to voice their opinions, but at about 8 p.m., a small, hostile crowd began moving toward a police line that had been held for several hours, Batts said.

    Oscar Grant's Mom: "My Son Was Murdered!"

    [BAY] Oscar Grant's Mom: "My Son Was Murdered!"
    Johannes Mehserle verdict sparks emotional speech from victim's mother.

    About 50 people wearing black masks, bandanas, hooded sweatshirts and backpacks threw rocks and bottles at the officers, Batts said. He described the protesters as anarchists and said their goal was  to go into crowds and cause people on both sides to overact.

    At 20th Street and Broadway, officers dispersed smoke to break up the crowd, but no tear gas was used, Batts said. Police issued a dispersal order and said over a loudspeaker that the protest had been declared an unlawful assembly, Batts said. The crowd was reduced to about 300 people by 9:30 p.m.

    Oscar Grant's Family, Supporters React to Verdict

    [BAY] Oscar Grant's Family,  Supporters React to Verdict
    Family and supporters of Oscar Grant express disappointment with jury's decision of guilty of involuntary manslaughter for Johannes Mehserle.

    "A number of protesters failed to adhere to that legal mandate," Batts said at about 10:30 p.m. "We have them boxed in and are making arrests since we gave them ample time to leave."

    Batts said looting and vandalism occurred, particularly in the 1700 blocks of Broadway and west Franklin Street, and near the intersection of west Grand Avenue and Broadway.

    A Foot Locker at 14th Street and Broadway was broken into, vandalized and robbed, witnesses said. Nearby, protesters broke windows of a Subway sandwich shop and a Far East National Bank. They also pushed large trash bins into the street and set them on fire, Batts said.

    Still others threw M-1000 fireworks at law enforcement officers and other demonstrators, Alameda County sheriff's Sgt. J.D. Nelson said. Batts said he was proud of the way police responded, but he admitted to being disappointed by the minority of protesters who damaged  property and attacked police and other protesters.

    "To come to this city and destroy this city and to do the damage is something I frown upon," he said. "We deserve better. This city is not the wild, wild West. We will not tolerate it."

    A Los Angeles jury Thursday convicted Mehserle, a former BART police officer, of involuntary manslaughter for fatally shooting unarmed passenger Oscar Grant III on New Year's Day 2009.

    The jury also found true the allegation that Mehserle deliberately used his gun. Mehserle now faces between five and 14 years in prison when he is sentenced on Aug. 6.

    Bay City News contributed to this report.