Oakland Couple Pleads Not Guilty to Vandalizing Miami Vet Office

Reyez the dog died during minor knee surgery

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC 6 South Florida
    Reyez, an American Bulldog, died Thursday during minor knee surgery.

    An Oakland couple has been charged after police say they trashed a Miami pet hospital after their dog died during surgery.

    Miami police say Alejandra Zavaleta and Edwin Vargas took their American bulldog, Reyes, for surgery last month at Banfield Pet Hospital.

    They pleaded not guilty on Friday to charges of burglary to an occupied structure, criminal mischief and disorderly conduct.

    RAW VIDEO: Family Speaks After Dog Dies at Coral Gables Animal Hospital

    [MI] RAW VIDEO: Family Speaks After Dog Dies at Coral Gables Animal Hospital
    A couple from San Francisco was arrested Thursday for vandalizing a Coral Gables veterinary office after they found out their dog died during minor knee surgery. NBC 6's Hank Tester spoke with Cindy Vargas about the incident.

    When staff told them the dog had died, an arrest report from April says says the couple became extremely violent and broke computers, printers, window blinds and other medical equipment. The damage was valued at more than $5,000.

    Reyez, an America Bulldog, was at Banfield Pet Hospital, inside a PetSmart for the procedure. When they found out he died,  Zavaleta, 31, and  Vargas, 34, were outraged.

    Pictures show medical supplies littering the floor and window blinds torn apart.

    According to Vargas' sister, Cindy Vargas, told NBC Miami what sparked the incident was the doctor's lack of information about the dog's death.

    "The doctor was standing up against the counter with his arms crossed and saying 'I don't know what happened,'" Cindy Vargas said. "When we had specific questions he left the building."

    Zoo Miami Holding Nonnative Pets Amnesty Day

    According to one PetSmart employee, the doctor left the building because he feared for his safety.

    The hospital released a statement Friday explaining the dog's condition.

    "Reyes [sic] appeared to be recovering normally after anesthesia when he unexpectedly went into respiratory and cardiac arrest—the hospital administered CPR but was unsuccessful in reviving Reyes," said the statement. "Anytime a pet undergoes anesthesia there is a rare risk of an unforeseen adverse event."

    The statement goes on to say: "We understand how hard it is to lose a pet—our hearts go to the Vargas family for the loss of Reyes.”

    The Associated Press contributed to this report.