Oakland Earns Top Marks For Art
Oakland's top marks for art, not crime.
Oakland, California: art mecca.
It's the truth. Events like Art Murmur, the Everett & Jones barbecue and the Burning Man-attendee infested Crucible art factory earned the East Bay city a sport on ArtPlace's national list of the top 12 neighborhoods made vibrant by art.
"Oakland is experiencing a new energy that hasn't been seen since the 1940s," Art Place declares.
Art Place also honored other places familiar to the local artistically-inclined: Portland's Pearl District and San Francisco's Mission District -- what is this, the 1990s? -- ended up on Art Place's top spots for the finer things.
The full list according to ArtPlace is here.
- Brooklyn, NY / The intersection of Downtown, Fort Greene, Gowanus, Park Slope and Prospect Heights
- Dallas, TX / The Dallas Arts District, with parts of Deep Ellum and Exposition Park
- Los Angeles, CA / Central Hollywood
- Miami Beach, FL / South Beach
- Milwaukee, WI / East Town and a portion of the Lower East Side
- New York, NY / Manhattan Valley
- Oakland, CA / Downtown, including Chinatown, Old Oakland and Jack London Square
- Philadelphia, PA / Old City
- Portland, OR / The Pearl District and a portion of Downtown
- San Francisco, CA / The Mission District
- Seattle, WA / The Pike-Pine Corridor
- Washington, DC / The intersection of Adams Morgan, U Street, and Dupont Circle
Copyright NBC Owned Television Stations