Parents Wait for New Bride's Ashes, After Limo Fire

By Lisa Fernandez
|  Wednesday, May 15, 2013  |  Updated 6:39 AM PDT
View Comments (
RAW AUDIO: Limo Driver Speaks About Fatality in San Mateo Bridge

Inquirer News, Inquirer.Net

Screen grab of showing the dress that Neriza Fojas would have worn to her wedding in the Philippines.

Photos and Videos

RAW AUDIO: Coroner Described Gruesome Scene Inside Limo

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault told NBC Bay Area's Diane Dwyer that the scene last night was the worst he's witnessed after 20 years on the job.

RAW VIDEO: Motorist Drives Past Limo Fire

This is a video clip from a person who drove past the limo that caught fire Saturday night killing five women.
More Photos and Videos

The parents of Neriza Fojas, the bride who was killed on Saturday night on the San Mateo Bridge when the limousine carrying her burst into flames, spoke to a news organization in the Philippines about how the family had been waiting for her to fly there for her church wedding next month.

Speaking to the  by phone in from the Central Luzon area of the Philippines, Carlito Fojas said his 31-year-old was supposed to marry Carlo Moya on June 19 in church, though the two had already had a civil wedding.

The couple was supposed to have arrived in the Philippines on June 2 to make arrangements with the Catholic Church. The Inquirer News obtained a photograph of the wedding dress. The photograph shows that the long, white gown is made of Mikado silk and Taiwan jusi.
But Fojas will never wear that dress.

She and four of her friends - all nurses - died in the limousine accident. They were heading to what would have been Fojas' bachelorette party in Foster City. Why the limo caught on fire is still unclear. Four other friends and the driver managed to escape with their lives.

Carlito Fojas told the Inquirer News that he is now waiting for his son-in-law to bring his daughter's ashes to him, but that might take a while because her remains would first have to undergo a forensic examination. According to reports, she had been living in Hawaii, until she got a job as a nurse in Fresno and had been living in Oakland.

To date, he said the family in Tarlac has yet to receive a report on the incident. He told the news organization that no U.S. official had yet gotten in touch with the family.

“Carlo is handling all arrangements,"  the father told the news organization. "He is at his wits’ end because of the tragedy."

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out