California Division of Occupational Safety is investigating the death of gas station employee who died after apparently being shocked while working on a light fixture.
The San Mateo County coroner's office identifies the man who died as 19-year-old Mustafa Algazawy of San Francisco. The office did not list a cause of death. It is possible he died in the fall or he may have been electrocuted.
His family said Algazawy was engaged to be married and was working at the station to make some money for his wedding. He would have turned 20 this week.
Algazawy was changing a light bulb above some storage lockers at the 76 station at 101 S. Mayfair Ave. when he fell from the ladder he was on, Daly City police Sgt. David Mackriss said.
A manager who saw Algazawy fall suffered a heart attack, apparently from the trauma of witnessing the incident, Cal/OSHA spokeswoman Krisann Chasarik said. He was transported to Peninsula Medical Center with what Mackriss called a "a severe grief reaction."
Mackriss said the gas station will remain closed Monday while detectives and Cal/OSHA investigate the teen's death.