Danville police said a suspect has been identified in the shooting death of a 17-year-old boy on his driveway in Danville.
Fuchs' mother said the family is happy with the progress of the investigation so far.
"I am more than pleased to hear there is a suspect and they're close to finding them because this whole situation is absolutely horrible," Karen Williams said.
He was pronounced dead at John Muir Medical Center early Wednesday morning.
Fuchs' step-father, Ron Harmon, told the Danville Weekly newspaper that someone sent text messages to Fuchs' friends right after telling them he had been shot.
Harmon said the messages reportedly said "mess with fire and you'll get burned."
On Thursday police said they have identified a suspect but a named would not be released in order not to compromise the investigation.
"The investigation is continuing," said Jimmy Lee, the director of public affairs for the Contra Costa County office of the sheriff. "A large pool of potential witnesses is still being interviewed and other leads are being pursued as Detectives piece together exactly what happened."
Harmon told reporters Wednesday that he heard a gunshot around 9 p.m. and what sounded like a bump against the front door. He found his stepson outside bleeding from the neck.
Police say the victim knew the shooter but have not publicly identified a suspect or a motive.