SJ Gives Residents a New Way to Complain About Police

View Comments ()



    Getty Images
    San Jose residents have a new way to resolve complaints against police officers.

    San Jose has a new way of dealing with some disputes between the public and police officers.

    People who think an officer was disrespectful or have other relative minor complaints can now talk it out with the officer in front of a retired judge.

    In the past, those complaints were investigated by the department's Internal Affairs unit.

    City officials told the San Jose Mercury News the new approach lets unsatisfied residents tell officers exactly what they think while saving the city thousands of dollars in arbitrations.

    It has been used three times so far. Officials say the process is not an option for excessive force and other serious police misconduct allegations.