It's official. San Francisco has been named the most expensive city in the U.S. to visit this summer, beating New York City, according to TripAdvisor.
A TripIndex Cities survey compares the cost of a hotel stay, cocktails, a two course dinner with a bottle of wine and round-trip taxi fares in each major city.
San Francisco came in with a daily TripIndex cost of $508, which includes $380.92 for a hotel, $24.18 for a return taxi trip, $79.98 for a dinner for two and $22.67 for cocktails for two.
The daily TripIndex cost for New York City is $501, with Boston ($491) coming in next. At a TripIndex cost of $276, Las Vegas is the least expensive U.S. destination, followed by Atlanta ($314) and Miami ($311).
Other statistics from TripIndex Cities include:
- Hotel prices have decreased in 15 of the 20 examined U.S. cities since last summer, with the average nightly hotel rate down 6 percent
- Cities around the Pacific Northwest have seen surges, while room rates in warm-weather spots including Orlando and Honolulu have dropped significantly
- London shot up six spots from last year to be crowned the costliest destination on the international list, with Paris and New York City close behind
- 6 of the 10 most affordable U.S. destinations are in the South
- Hanoi is the best value international destination, followed closely by Jakarta, and Sharm el Sheikh
- Asian destinations top the best value list with 5 of the 10 most affordable spots