The 11-alarm fire at San Jose's Santana Row is one of the worst fires in the city's history.
It destroyed the 538,000-square-foot structure one month before it was supposed to open in 2002. Construction crews had to start all over to build what is now a high-end, destination shopping center.
The actual anniversary of the fire was in August. But the outdoor mall has chosen this weekend to give back to the San Jose firefighters who put their lives on the line to fight the fire a decade ago.
Santana Row also threw an invitation only party Thursday night to celebrate the ten year anniversary of its grand opening. Believe it or not, the mall opened Nov. 17, 2002, just three months after the fire. That is credit to the power of the Christmas shopping season.
Participating Santana Row retailers will give 10-percent of this weekend's sales to the San Jose Fire Department’s Public Education/Community Relations Trust.
Here's a list of the participating stores and restaurants, plus some added specials:
- Left Bank Brasserie-Enjoy a specialty cocktail called “Noces D’Etains” which translates into "10th Anniversary." The cocktail is available for $10.
- The Blues Jean Bar-Enjoy complimentary wine, plus 20% off the entire store.
- Lucy-15% off a full-priced purchase of $150 or more.
- 100% Pure-Enjoy a free gift with any purchase, plus refreshments and snacks!
- Thea Mediterranean-Wine tasting/cocktail hour from 6-8 p.m. with appetizer pairings for you to enjoy in the lounge.
- Pizza Antica-On Saturday & Sunday you are invited to donate a toy to the San Jose Fire Department and you will receive one free dessert.
- Boutique Harajuku-Enjoy drinks and appetizers, PLUS 15-20% off on regular collection.
- The Counter
- Anne Fontaine- Plus enjoy a glass of bubbly while you shop!
- Ted Baker
- Pink Stripes Boutique
- Beau Bijou-Plus wine and cheese.