Scotts Valley Man Found Safe in Salt Lake City

Missing man is likely disoriented after hitting his head in a bike accident last weeken

View Comments ()



    Santa Cruz County sheriff's deputies are actively searching for an at-risk 20-year-old Scotts Valley man. What's concerning is that Matthew Austin Abraham is likely disoriented because he suffered a head injury while mountain biking on Saturday at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park off U.S. Highway 101 in Felton. Bob Redell reports. (Published Friday, March 15, 2013)

    A missing Scotts Valley man with a head injury has been found in Salt Lake City.

    The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department said late Friday that Matthew Abraham was in police custody, and was being medically evaluated  as his family was making arrangements to reunite with their son.

    Investigators in Santa Cruz County said a person who had befriended Abraham on the bus was instrumental in helping locate him. They said Abraham had asked the man for help getting to the East Coast, but somehow the traveling companion learned who is really was and reached out to both the Abraham family and the sheriff's department.

    Salt Lake City were able to locate Abraham in a public library at 5 p.m. Friday.

    Earlier Friday,  a bus driver said she thought she saw a young man who matched the 21-year-old's description in  Sparks, Nev. including his large black backpack and rainbow teddy bear described on the news.

    A surveillance photo from a Sparks store also showed Abraham.  The young man's parents got a look at the photo and said it was their son. The photo was taken Thursday at 12:16 p.m. (See below).

    Abraham was last seen on Thursday morning. What was of concern to his family was that he was disoriented because he suffered a serious head injury while mountain biking last weekend at Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park off U.S. Highway 101 in Felton. He went to the hospital and returned home on Monday, his parents said.

    But noise and light have been bothering him since, and his mother, Karen Abraham, said he may have taken off on Thursday morning because some neighbors were using loud machinery to cut down trees in the wooded area  near their home.

    A search of Henry Cowell was shut down Friday night as the focus moved to Nevada and now Utah.

    It was not immediately clear why was head to the East Coast.