What with the stirring, stunning and ultimately stimulating football contest Saturday, it'd be hard not to be whipped up into a fresh frenzy for your San Francisco 49ers, who host the New York football Giants on Sunday for the right to compete in the Super Bowl.
But chances are many of the hooting and hollering fans bedecked in fresh red and gold duds have never ventured out to the 'Stick to watch the likes of Garcia, Rattay, and Dilfer ply their trades.
To them, Singeltary is something that happens on Saturday night.
- You live in the Mission: The city's hippest hood is inhabited by folks who a few months ago were wrapping up college finals in Palo Alto, projects in Mountain View, or doing something else somewhere else before they could afford that sweet condo on Valencia. Or so goes the prevailing wisdom, which says that -- for example -- the sport of baseball magically enjoyed a renaissance in the Mish circa September-November 2010. Hmm...
- You miss Friday Night Lights: We're not so sure of this one, because the likes of Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins bear little resemblence to the Harbaughs and Gores of the world -- mostly because they don't stay in high school for what feels like a decade. Though we imagine that if nostalgia for a recently-departed TV show is what keeps you in front of the television on gameday, perhaps Kezar Stadium was not in your past.
- You don't know the other Smiths: There's Alex Smith, then there's Aldon Smith. And then there's Justin Smith. And remember Troy Smith? No? Good; you're a bandwagoner.
- You live in Santa Clara: Enjoy the traffic. And the stadium debt.
- You're a single straight woman: And you're spending Sundays hanging out in stinky bars trying to pick up on "infamously timid and emasculated San Francisco [men]." What on earth for? You'll just have bandwagoning babies.