Students Sickened by THC-Laced Drink at Santa Rosa Middle School

A 13-year-old girl apparently mixed the chemical into a bottle of Gatorade, then shared it with friends at school.

Saturday, Feb 11, 2012  |  Updated 11:20 AM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Marijuana Cupcake Anyone?

Getty Images

One student was hospitalized after drinking the popular sports drink mixed with THC, a chemical derived from marijuana.

Photos and Videos
More Photos and Videos

Police say five Santa Rosa middle school students became sick after ingesting a substance that investigators suspect was tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, a chemical derived from marijuana.

A 13-year-old girl apparently brought the substance to Santa Rosa Middle School on E Street, put it in a bottle of Gatorade and shared it on Friday with her friends at lunch.

Santa Rosa police Sgt. David Linscomb says several of the students later complained of dizziness and stomach pain. One was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where she was treated and released.

The other four, a group that included boys and girls ages 13 and 14, were released to their parents.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out