The sole remaining survivor of the June 2008 shooting attack that claimed the lives of his father and two brothers testified in the trial of an alleged MS-13 member.
Andrew Bologna, 21, was 18 when his father and two brothers were shot and killed while traveling in the family's Honda Civic a few blocks from the family's home in San Francisco's Excelsior District on June 22, 2008. He identified in court Edwin Ramos, 25, as the man who pointed a chrome handgun at his father and began shooting, according to the San Francisco Examiner.
Ramos is charged with three counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. Prosecutors say Ramos and other gang members cruised the City in a gray Chrysler 300, looking for revenge for a shooting of one of their gang members earlier that day. They confused Anthony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Andrew, 16, with rival gang members, according to prosecutors.
Ramos's Chrysler blocked the path of the Bologna's Honda and then pulled up within 12-15 inches of the Bologna's car, the court was told.
"He [Ramos] was staring at my dad, mugging him, giving him a mean look, and that’s when he pulled out a gun," said Andrew Bologna, who had been sitting behind his father.
"He shot in my dad’s window first," he said, as both he and his mother, Danielle, broke into tears, according to the Examiner. "I immediately ducked, that was my first instinct," he added, saying he then heard more gunshots. "It was real quick."
Jurors also heard an audio recording of a police interview conducted on scene of the shooting shortly after it happened.
"He was trying to block us off. He was mugging us. He just started popping at us. We don’t even know him," Andrew Bologna, weeping, told police.
"He was just looking at us funny. And he had it on him, I already knew he had it on him. He just pulled it out," Bologna says of the driver pulling a gun. "It was just some random dude."
Ramos' defense attorneys say that another man in the car did the shooting, and that Ramos had no idea what would happen.