Teen Pleads Guilty in Concord Vehicular Manslaughter

The teen was driving at a high rate of speed when he struck a father and daughter.

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A teenage driver accused of hitting and killing a father and daughter with his SUV as they were out for a Saturday morning bike ride in Concord in April pleaded guilty to vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving charges this morning in juvenile court in Martinez. (Published Wednesday, Sep 26, 2012)

    The 17-year-old Concord teenager who hit and killed a father and daughter as they rode their bikes along the sidewalk last April has pleaded guilty to two counts of vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving.

    The plea means he will not face a trial.

    The family of 41-year-old Solaiman Nuri and 9-year-old Hadessa sobbed in court as the teen admitted he drove reckelessly and killed the two. Hadessa's sister, 12-year-old Hannah, was also hurt in the crash. 

    "I just wanted justice for me and my daughter and the family," Stoorai Nuri,  widow of Solaiman Nuri and mother of Hannah and Hadessa  said. "I know everyone out there who is a parent can feel my pain."

    The accused teen tried to stand up and apologize to the family, but the family's attorney objected.

    "We understand that's a good thing, but it rings a bit hollow," said attorney Michael Cardoza. "I can't help but think it's because he believes it will benefit him."

    Police said Rosen was speeding down Treat Boulevard at an estimated 72 miles per hour in a 45 mile-per-hour zone when he struck  Solaiman Nuri and his daughters around 9:30 a.m. on April 7.
       
    Two misdemeanor charges for unrelated incidents in which Rosen was  found in possession of a butterfly knife and alcohol were dropped under the  deal.

    Rosen previously pleaded not guilty to all charges in August.

    Rosen, who had not been jailed up until this point, is now in custody.    

    Although the teen could face a maximum sentence of seven years and  eight months in prison, he can only be held until his 21st birthday,  according to Senior Deputy District Attorney Dan Cabral.   

    Rosen was charged as a juvenile because vehicular manslaughter is not categorized as a violent felony that would allow a teen to be charged in adult court in California.

    He is set to be sentenced in juvenile court in Martinez on Oct.  22.

    Bay City News contributed to this report.