Those Unhappy With Mehserle Verdict Work on Next Steps

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBC Bay Area
    Protesters surrounded a police van. A woman was injured but she refused medical help, police said.

     Community organizers unhappy with last week's verdict in the  Johannes Mehserle case are meeting in Oakland tonight to discuss possible  actions in the days and weeks ahead.

    Tony Coleman, of the Oakland General Assembly for Justice for  Oscar Grant, said more than 50 people are expected to gather to "share  proposals for ways to move forward" in the wake of the verdict.
         
    Mehserle, a 28-year-old former BART police officer, was convicted  last Thursday of involuntary manslaughter and an enhancement for using a gun  in the shooting death of Grant, a 22-year-old Hayward man, at the Fruitvale  station in Oakland shortly after 2 a.m. on Jan. 1, 2009.
         
    The Oakland General Assembly for Justice for Oscar Grant say they held a  peaceful rally in downtown Oakland last Thursday before a separate group of  demonstrators became violent.
         
    Coleman said he hopes that rally made people interested in  attending today's meeting, which is open to the public.
         
    The meeting will allow participants to learn more about the U.S.  Department of Justice investigation into the shooting and ways to express  support for that investigation, Coleman said.
         
    Other proposed actions, including a possible BART boycott, will  also be discussed, he said.
         
    The meeting is scheduled for 7 p.m. today at the Continental Club  at 1658 12th St. in Oakland.

    Bay City News