Tortoises Cause Garage Fire in Castro Valley

Two African tortoises are connected to a Castro Valley garage fire.

By Chris Roberts
|  Tuesday, Feb 21, 2012  |  Updated 5:04 PM PDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Tortoises Cause Garage Fire in Castro Valley

Flickr/Just chaos

The tortoises did it.

A garage fire in Castro Valley was caused by the heating pad for a pair of giant tortoises, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Firefighters responded to the 17400 block of Almond Road at 3 a.m. on Tuesday morning. There, the heating pad for two African tortoises malfunctioned, causing a fire that firefighters extinguished in ten minutes.

The tortoises, both three feet in diameter, "lumbered slowly but steadily to safety" and did not suffer any injuries, the newspaper reported.

One firefighter was taken to a local hospital for heat exhaustion and was released following treatment, the newspaper reported.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
Bay Area Proud
Bay Area Proud is NBC Bay... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out